Money & Currency
The currency in Romania is the Romanian LEU. Each LEU is divided into 100 bani.
When you’re buying currency for Romania, look out for the currency code RON. And once you’re in Botoșani, you’ll see the symbol LEI used to show prices.
You’ll find Romanian banknotes in denominations of 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, and 500 - although the 200 and 500 RON notes are seldom used.
Bani come in coins of 1, 5, 10 and 50.
All banks operating in Botoșani offer foreign currency exchange services and quote the exchange rates of the LEU (RON) against all major foreign currencies daily. More detailed information concerning exchange rates can be obtained from the Central Bank of Romania.
Forms of Payment
Hotels, shops and restaurants accept credit cards.
Major credit cards are widely accepted in Botoșani. Visa and MasterCard are the most-accepted types of cards, with American Express, Maestro accepted less frequently.
Visitors in possession of any of the above mentioned international credit cards may contact the appropriate bank for the withdrawal of cash.
Please note that using a credit card overseas often incurs a fee. Some cards marketed to travelers have no fees for overseas purchases, and others reduce the fee from the average 3% charge that most credit cards charge.
For lost credit cards, contact your bank in the issuing country.
Tipping is at the discretion of the customer and is a gesture that is appreciated by hotel and restaurants employees.
Cost of Living / Holiday Budget
The price of products and services in Botoșani varies depending on the season and the location. Below is an indicative list of average prices in Euro:
Entertainment and Leisure (average prices, June 2022)
- Single bus ticket: 0,50 €
- Cinema ticket: 6€ (adults) / 3.5€ (children)
- Acqua park: 4€ - 8€
- Renting sport fields: 4€ - 25€ per hour
- Continental breakfast: 4€- 7€
- Lunch (fixed menu): 5€ - 10€
- Dinner at a local tavern (including beer or cold drink): 10€
- Cappuccino (regular): 1,5€-2,00€
- Glass of beer: 2€-4€
- Soft drink: 1,00€-2,50€
- Pack of cigarettes: 4,50€ - 5,00€
Supermarket (average prices)
- Milk: 1,40-1,45€ per litre
- Bread: 1,00€ per kg
- Cheese (Cașcaval): 7€ - 10€ per kilo
- Local beer: 0,68€ - 1,00€ per 330 ml tin
- Natural water: 0,70€- 1,50€ per 1.5 litre
- Pork: 4,00€ - 5,90€ per kilo
- Chicken: 4,00€ - 5,90€ per kilo
- Tomatoes: 1,50€ – 2.00€ per kilo
- Apples (various varieties): 0,90€ - 1,50€ per kilo